We started getting organised to cook our lasagne today. Each group went online and priced the ingredients in a different store – Morrisons, Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys and one group went to the local Co-op. Mrs Laird also priced the recipe at Morrisons.
Our results for the same receipe were:- Tesco £10.87, Sainsburys £12.16, Asda £8.65 and Morrisons (Mrs Laird) £6.43, local Co-op £8.88 (but couldn’t get many of the ingredients.)
George and Logan M also looked at an easy recipe for lasagne. However, this came to £15.77 in Morrisons. When they were questionned they realised though that the recipe served 12 people therefore, it would come in under budget at £5.26 per group.
The children questionned why Mrs Laird’s was so cheap compared with the rest. She explained that she had ‘bulk bought’ for the four groups and then divided the total between them.
The children learnt many things today, including:
- You need to look at how many the recipe serves.
- Bulk buying/buying for the week can be much cheaper and reduces waste.
- You need to covert to p to add up the total and then convert back to £.
- You only use a £ or a p sign, not both together.
- Convenience stores do not have as much and generally sell vegetables in packs meaning you can’t buy separate and therefore they are not as fresh.